was a Second World War
radar station situated at Stenigot
, near Donington on Bain
It was part of the Chain Home
radar network, intended to provide long range early warning for raids from Luftflotte 5
and the northern elements of Luftflotte 2
along the approaches to Sheffield
and the central Midlands.
After the Second World War, the site was retained as part of the Chain Home network. In 1959 it was upgraded to a communications relay site as part of the ACE High
programme, which involved adding four tropospheric scatter
The site was decommissioned in the late 1980s and was mostly demolished by 1996.
Category:Architecture and Structures
Subcategory:Places of Interest
Keywords:Lincolnshire, MOD., Ministry, RAF, RAF, Stenigot, Stenigot, defence, of
© Vicky Mansfield Photography